BEERventures is a blog that follows my learning adventures with the greatest beverage known to man (and woman). As I learn about beers, how they are made, and all of the wonderful scientific facts about beer, so will you. I am no expert; far from it! I am simply a beer lover that wants to learn and explore the vast varieties of beer. All information will be from the perspective of the average consumer, and not that of a beer snob!

Friday, September 16, 2011

Weekly ALEment

Loakal Red

Quick Facts
Brewery: The Bruery
Beer Style: American Red Ale
Origin: Orange County, CA, USA (Available only in Orange County)
ABV: 6.9%
IBU: 35
Glassware: Pint Glass
Serve Temp: 45°-50°
Brewer’s Profile: Centennial hops, sweet malt, oak-aged

Summary
Color poured is a light brown, rich copper with a golden thick head that seems to stick around for a decent amount of time. When you first bring the glass to your nose, you immediately catch a whiff of the smoky oak flavor with some hints of spice. With the first sip, you start to notice the bitterness of the hops along with a splash of citrus flavor and spice. The bitter easily transitions to a warm flavor of oak and a sweet caramel finish. Medium bodied, with some light carbonation and a crisp finish.

Ok……So I have tasted this beer before. I first tried this beer in a flight when I visited The Bruery in Orange, CA recently. Justin, a friend and I had tasted some great beers that afternoon, but this one caught my attention. And since you can’t really fully enjoy the flavor of a beer from a small sample, I decided to bring this one home to further explore. Once you’ve tried this beer, you can fully appreciate the perfect balance between the bitterness and the sweet. I think it’s important for a red ale to have this balance. It’s also important that the flavor sticks around for a while, and not just wash away after each sip. The Loakal Red, definitely, had more complexity with a full glass that I didn’t get with the sample. I’m actually slightly disappointed in myself that I didn’t buy another bottle. I guess I’ll have to make another trip soon!



No comments:

Post a Comment