BEERventures is a blog that follows my learning adventures with the greatest beverage known to man (and woman). As I learn about beers, how they are made, and all of the wonderful scientific facts about beer, so will you. I am no expert; far from it! I am simply a beer lover that wants to learn and explore the vast varieties of beer. All information will be from the perspective of the average consumer, and not that of a beer snob!

Sunday, September 4, 2011

Weekly ALEment

Una Mas Amber Lager (Seasonal)

Quick Facts
Brewery: Left Coast Brewing co.
Beer Style: Vienna Lager
Origin: San Clemente, CA, USA
ABV: 6.4%
Glassware: Pilsner / Flute
Serve Temp: 40°-45°
Brewer’s Profile: Roasted Malt, Sweet

Summary
The color of this beer pours a very attractive copper / golden color. There is a light, thin head with a slight golden hue. The overall look of the beer is very pleasing to the eye. When you first taste the beer, you notice the toasty malt flavor right away; followed by some hints of smoky sweet, and caramel. The beer has very deep flavor, which is surprising for how light it feels, and there is no lingering bad aftertaste.

I have to admit, lagers can be hit or miss for me. Some I really enjoy and some I just completely avoid. In the spirit of trying to have an open mind, I picked this one up at your local Total Wine & More and decided to give it a real chance. The brewer describes the beer as a “lager styled after the popular amber lagers south of the border,” and that summary is pretty spot on. I was very impressed with the amount of flavor, and the fact that it was very true to its description. We kept the “south of the border” experience going the whole night by grilling up a great pollo asado dinner.



No comments:

Post a Comment