BEERventures is a blog that follows my learning adventures with the greatest beverage known to man (and woman). As I learn about beers, how they are made, and all of the wonderful scientific facts about beer, so will you. I am no expert; far from it! I am simply a beer lover that wants to learn and explore the vast varieties of beer. All information will be from the perspective of the average consumer, and not that of a beer snob!

Saturday, December 24, 2011

Weekly ALEment

Three Philosophers (2011 Quadrupel) 

Quick Facts
Brewery: Brewery Ommegang
Beer Style: Quadrupel (Belgian Quad)
Origin: Cooperstown, New York, USA
ABV: 9.8%
IBU: N/A
Glassware: Tulip / Snifter
Serve Temp: 50°
Brewer’s Profile: Belgian Style Blend, Cherry

Summary
Color is a dark brown, coffee-like color. Pours smooth and clean with a medium golden head that dissolves relatively quickly. First aromas are of spices, cocoa, and hints of caramel. The flavor of the beer is filled with sweet caramel, floral, and a hint of the signature cherry flavor boasted in the profile. Medium carbonation, but is very light on the tongue and leaves a spicy taste in your mouth.

I love a good beer full of good malty flavors, and this beer has lots of good caramel malt, and cocoa flavors. Although I could catch small hints of the cherry flavor, I was hoping to catch more of it on my palate. Still, this beer had a great balance of other flavors that made it extremely enjoyable. As a side note, with the high alcohol content, it definitely gets stronger toward the end. For that reason, I stuck to one glass with dinner J


No comments:

Post a Comment