BEERventures is a blog that follows my learning adventures with the greatest beverage known to man (and woman). As I learn about beers, how they are made, and all of the wonderful scientific facts about beer, so will you. I am no expert; far from it! I am simply a beer lover that wants to learn and explore the vast varieties of beer. All information will be from the perspective of the average consumer, and not that of a beer snob!

Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Weekly ALEment


Old Stock Ale (2009 Cellar Reserve)

Quick Facts
Brewery: North Coast Brewing Co.
Beer Style: Old Ale
Origin: Fort Bragg, California, USA
ABV: 12.5%
IBU: N/A
Glassware: Pint Glass / Tumbler
Serve Temp: 40°-45°
Brewer’s Profile: Oak, Burbon, Malty

Summary
Color poured is a dark brown with a slight hint of copper. Very thin, light head that dissipates quickly. You don’t have to bring the glass too close to your face to get a good smell. The aroma is very strong, almost booze-like, with some hints of sweet malt and caramel.

I've read a lot of hype on this beer, but to be honest, it’s definitely not something I would put on my favorites list. From the first sip, the only thing that came to my mind was, “this tastes a lot like whiskey!” I expected some burbon or alcohol flavors, but I guess I just didn’t expect it to be that strong. Any other flavor of the beer was overpowered by the intensity of the alcohol on my lips. Not that I dislike whiskey or any other liquor, but when I’m drinking a beer at dinner I would like for it to be a little less “boozy.” I even tried to pair this beer as recommended with a cheese assortment. The cheese is supposed to balance out the flavor of the beer. I found myself eating more cheese than sipping, however. None the less, my boyfriend loved this ale, and proceeded to drink what I could not finish with the rest of our dinner  J






No comments:

Post a Comment